Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Luxembourg and Brussels



Hello everyone! Last weekend I went to Luxembourg City and Brussels with my European Policy Seminar class. We stayed one night and afternoon in Luxembourg where we stayed in a great hostel. I walked around all night with my friends to see some of the tourist sights because we only had a few hours the next day to do anything. It is a beautiful city and there were breath taking views all over. The next day we all went to the European Court of Justice where we heard a court case about Value Added Tax and deductibles. It was an amazing unique opportunity however hard to pay attention for an hour on non-business transaction. The rest of the afternoon it rained so once we gave up on touring threw the rain we sat in a bookstore and I read about Ireland and it made me even more excited for my fall break this week.

Brussels had such a beautiful Grand Square, defiantly one of favorite so far. My friends and I went to two really great bars. One was famous for having artwork from Rene Magritte who painted The Son of Man. The other bar had more that 2000 different types of beers and I met so many people from Brussels, Paris, America and all over the world. I spent a lot of time there that weekend. With my class, I visited NATO and the US Mission. They both had amazing speakers and by the end of the day I started considering jobs in foreign affaires. We also had a really great group dinner in the center square. Speaking of food I am sure you all have heard how excellent the waffles and chocolates are, and it is true. However I recommend if you go you don’t even have to pay for chocolate you just have to go into a lot of stores and they all let you test some. I saw the Mannequin Piss, which is the little gold statue of a boy peeing and I also saw Marat by David. It was a great weekend and my friends and I are still talking and laughing about all our adventures.


No comments: